Delivering all the good stuff you’d expect from an Apple phone - high-end specs and superb performance - the iPhone XR is an impressive addition to the iPhone range. A few design compromises keep its price down too.
What’s the best deal for the iPhone XR
Even though the iPhone XR is not quite as expensive as the iPhone XS or XS Max and has been playfully referred to as Apple’s ‘budget’ smartphone, this is still a pricey handset. To get the best deal for you, consider how you’re going to use your phone and how you want to pay for it.
Think about the amount of data you’ll need each month - for social media, streaming video and listening to music, as well as call minutes and texts.
You can filter by:
- Storage - The iPhone XR is available with either 64GB, 128GB or 256GB of internal storage for your apps, files and pics.
- Colour - You can get this model in white, black, blue, yellow, coral or red.
- Monthly allowance - There's plenty of choice here over what you can get. Tariffs range from a minimal allowance up to unlimited everything. Pick a small one if you don't use your phone much, or lots of data if you like to browse and stream all day - though most of us are satisfied with 2GB-5GB of data.
- Budget - Think about how much you're willing to spend on your mobile bill each month, and how much you can spend upfront today.
- Network - Thanks to the iPhone's popularity, deals are available from tons of networks. Take your pick - whether you want free streaming with Three, low prices from Virgin Mobile, or a flexible contract from giffgaff. Some also have special offers for existing customers.
Once you've selected all the things that are important to you, you can sort the available deals by cost to see the cheapest, by data allowance to see the most generous, or just take a look at our best deals.
What is the iPhone XR like?
The iPhone XR keeps all the bits that make iPhones so great but reins in a few elements to get the price down a bit. Despite that, the iPhone XR is a real gem...
- Elegantly designed with an aluminium band, there are six colours to choose from: red, blue, yellow, white, black, and coral versions
- Its glossy rear enables wireless charging.
- If you’re a fan of the big display, at 6.1-inches, the XR is pretty much all screen - though slightly lower-res than flagship iPhones.
- Apple’s A12 Bionic chip means the XR packs plenty of power for a fast performance and its battery is a noticeable improvement on older models.
- It comes with three different storage options: 64GB, 128GB and 256GB.
- If you’re a keen photographer, you will notice a few compromises on the camera, such as an unimpressive portrait mode and a single lens - compared to the dual camera system of the XS and XS Max. But the XR’s camera function is still decent enough and capable of excellent snaps.
What is the cheapest iPhone XR deal?
The iPhone XR may be cheaper than its flagship cousins - the iPhone XS and XS Max - but it’s still an Apple handset, so it’s still reasonably expensive. That said, there are ways to avoid paying such a large sum upfront.
Compare the contract deals from our networks and you can see the different ways suppliers split their costs. Some require a large sum upfront and then a lower monthly fee, while others flip this and include a higher monthly fee, but you’ll pay less upfront.
To get a contract deal at the lowest possible cost, you can...
- Choose an MVNO or budget network, such as giffgaff or Sky Mobile. These networks have lower operating costs, and therefore cost you less too.
- Go for a lower allowance or lower internal storage size - but make sure you still have enough to cover you for the next two years.
- Get a refurbished model which has been previously owned or returned.
- Buy through a reseller - like Carphone Warehouse or Buymobiles, which offer pay-monthly contracts at cheaper rates.
What is the best iPhone XR deal with no upfront cost?
As mentioned above, there are different ways to manage the cost of a new iPhone XR. If you’re keen to avoid paying an upfront fee and would rather spread your costs over the course of a contract, there are network suppliers which offer this option.
Suppliers refer to this a ‘free device’ which isn’t technically true - it just means you won’t pay anything upfront. However, it does mean you will pay a higher fee each month. The plus is you get a shiny new premium iPhone in your hand without first forking our hundreds of pounds.
You can compare network deals and vary the amount you’re comfortable paying upfront against the amount you pay each month.
What is the best iPhone XR deal with unlimited data?
If you’re a particularly heavy user of data - whether it be through gaming, streaming music or watching videos - you may be considering a mobile contract that includes unlimited data.
There are networks which offer this but obviously you’ll have to pay for it. Expect a higher monthly fee or a large upfront cost, or possibly both, if you take this option.
But before choosing an unlimited data contract, think carefully about how you use data and try and work out how much you use (on average) each month. You may find it’s worth opting for a contract which offers, say, 10GB or 20GB instead. This is still a huge amount of data to work through and will probably work out a little cheaper than an unlimited data contract.
Find out more about how much data you need.
More phones like the iPhone XR
If you're happy with your current phone and would like to hang on to it, we have some excellent SIM-only deals to check out.
You could also trade in your current smartphone and put the money towards one of the newer models. It's a quick and easy process with CompareMyMobile.com. Depending on what model you have, and how intact it is, you’ll be surprised at what you can get.
iPhone XR specs
|Sim Card Type||Nano|
|Form Factor||Candy Bar|
|Size||75.7mm x 8.3mm x 150.9mm|
|Battery Type||Lithium Ion|
|Display Size||6.1 inches|
|Screen Type||IPS LCD|
|Resolution||828 x 1792 inches|
|Pixels Per Inch||326 ppi|
|Touch Screen Type||Capacitive|
|Processor Cores||6 Cores Cores|
|Internal Storage||64, 128, 256|
|Primary Camera||12 MP|
|2nd Camera||7 MP|