So far, 2019 has been an exciting year for smartphones. And, over the last few months, two handsets have stolen the headlines: the Samsung S10 and the Huawei P30 Pro. Indeed, there’s no doubt both phones have a lot to offer - question is, which one comes out on top?
We put the two handsets to the test - neck and neck, mono e mano, a clash of the titans…
You get the picture…
Let’s dive straight in.
Naturally, both flagship phones sport excellent chipsets with plenty of power behind them.
Here’s how they match up:
- Samsung S10 - First up, the Samsung Galaxy S10 boasts the inimitable Snapdragon 855. Impressively, this processor can support a number of demanding features; embedded fingerprint sensors, long-lasting battery, 8GB of RAM and next generation Wi-Fi 6, to name a few. Yup, all that considered, you’re guaranteed a speedy handset with this one.
- Huawei P30 - The P30, on the other hand, features a Kirin 980 chipset under its glossy exterior. Notably, this chipset is one of the fastest on the market and includes a dual MPU with advanced capabilities. Plus, thanks to its Cortex A76-based mobile CPU, the handset has received a significant boost in performance and power efficiency compared to its predecessor.
Verdict - To be honest, both processors are very powerful, so we’re going to have to call this one a draw.
- Samsung Galaxy S10 - With a virtually bezel-less, edge-to-edge display, and fashionable pin hole camera, the S10 is a stylish phone indeed. Moreover, it’s practical too - we found the phone easy to hold in the hand and not too clunky to carry around in in the pocket, either.
- Huawei P30 - On to the P30 with its teardrop notch, shiny back and quirky colour options. Its impressive screen clocks in at a hefty 6.1 inches. Plus, edge-to-edge display, HDR10+ support, impressive widescreen 19:9 aspect ratio and QHD+ resolution mean watching film and video will be a joy.
Winner: Samsung Galaxy S10 - although both phones are great to look at, we reckon the Samsung looks a little classier overall, so we’re giving it the win.
Even for users who are particularly data hungry, both phones offer plenty of storage and RAM and come in a number of different variants.
• Huawei P30 - the P30 has 8GB of RAM and up to 512GB of storage.
• Samsung S10 - the S10 comes in 128GB - 512GB.
Verdict: this one is a tie - as we say, both phones offer enough storage for hundreds of hours’ worth of video and thousands of pictures, too.
It’s super important to get a phone with decent battery life and, thankfully, both of these flagship models offer plenty of juice.
- Samsung Galaxy S10 - impressively, the S10 boasts a hefty 3,400mAh battery and also supports wireless charging for extra convenience.
- Huawei P30 - the P30 boats an impressive 3,650mAh battery - plenty big enough to last the whole day, even for compulsive phone users.
Winner: P30 - the P30 just snags it here, we have our winner!
- Samsung Galaxy S10 - With three snappers at the back and one at the front, the S10’s camera set-up is certainly impressive. In terms of megapixels, the three cameras at the back are 12MP wide, 12MP zoom and 16MP ultra-wide. Meanwhile, the selfie camera is a 10MP, dual aperture snapper with impressive super-slow motion capabilities. Moreover, you can also capture video in stunning 4K quality, too.
- Huawei P30 - Okay, so let’s get this out of the way - the Huawei P30’s camera is good. Like, really good. With three vertical cameras - a 40MP, 16MP and 8MP - 5x optical zoom and a powerful, 24MP front-facing camera, the P30 really is in a class of its own. In fact, it probably produced some of the clearest pictures we’ve seen from a camera phone.
Winner - no surprise here, but the Huawei P30 takes this one. A seriously impressive camera phone, capable of producing quality pictures.
When choosing a handset, it isn’t always about the best features - it’s also important that the phone is easy to use, too. Thankfully, both the Samsung and Huawei don’t overcomplicate usability.
- Huawei P30 - The P30 rocks Android Pie 9 along with EMUI 9.1. Impressively, this interface offers the opportunity to reduce storage files by 20% compare to the Huawei Mate 20. This is perhaps the most significant change, here.
- Samsung Galaxy S10 - Samsung’s One UI along with Android Pie 9 make for a truly smooth user experience indeed. Meanwhile, Bixby - Samsung’s personal voice assistant - is easy to use, though a bit limited compared to Apple’s Siri.
Verdict - Both interfaces are pretty smooth, we can’t call this one. It’s a tie.
So, right now, both phones are quite expensive - they are still pretty new, after all. You can pick up a P30 for £699. Alternatively, the Galaxy S10 starts at £799.
Winner: Huawei P30 - a £100 saving is a decent saving at the end of the day, so we have to give this one to the P30.
Well, it’s certainly a close one but, ultimately, there can only be one winner: the Huawei P30. Don’t get us wrong, both phones are impressive, though Huawei just snatches the win thanks to its superior camera. That said, both phones have a heck of a lot to offer, and if you’re not too fussed about superior camera quality, the S10 might just be the best option for you.
If you’re looking for a deal on either phone, check out our best Samsung and Huawei deals to find out more.